Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A77ii Flexible Spot AF question

profile.country.GB.title
Snerkler

Sony A77ii Flexible Spot AF question

I have just bought the Sony A77ii as a replacement for my A77 and there is a feature that I think is missing as wonder whether it will be made available on a software update? On my original A77 I used single spot AF (local) 99% of the time. When using this the AF point you had currently selected was highlighted, but you could still see the other AF points available for selection. This allowed me to know exactly where I was within the AF points, and also whether I was on a cross type or line type AF point. The A77ii now has the name flexible spot rather than local I believe, but the only AF point on the screen is the one currently selected, all the other AF points do not show. This means I cannot quickly work out which point I'm on and whether or not I am a cross type or line type. The only way I can do this is to go back to the centre point and then count how many I move out and how many I move up and down, which is not very intuitive or quick as you can imagine. There may of course be a setting to show the other AF points but so far I have not found it. The only function I have found is AF area auto clear, but all this does is make the selected AF point disappear after focus lock. For someone who used the AF point markers as a quick reference this is a big disappointment in my opinion and is less user friendly than the original A77. I hope it is something that can be fixed with an update, preferably giving the option to show them or not for those whose prefer no to have it. Is there a setting for this that I have missed? Cheers.
17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
Snerkler

Yeah, I appreciate your help and the effort you've gone to so thanks for that. At the end of the day it's just  a preference of how I want the camera set up. It doesn't really detract from what is a truly impressive bit of kit.

I don't mind sharing my Flickr account but my theoretical knowledge is better than my practical skills so I fear you will be disappointed lol. I've only been doing photography for just under a year. 

My Flickr photostream 

[Edited by moderator to remove personal details]

There's a lot of various things on there. If you like Macro most (but not all) of my macro is in the insects album. Some of it's reasonable towards the end I guess. I'd love to shoot like Thomas Shahan one day. In fact I'd love to be able to shoot 10% as good as him :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Snerkler

Sorry I know I said I was going to leave this thread, but just in case anyone else picks up on it, this is what I meant. From this view I do not know instantly which AF point I am on. I can see I'm one left of centre, but I don't know if I'm 2 up and therefore on cross type or 3 up and therefore on line. If I study it I can work out I'm 2 up and therefore cross type, but if I had the AF point grid displayed (the tiny squares as shown on wide if selected) I could tell in a flash.

As I say, it's a small thing that has probably been made to look more of an issue by the length of this discussion lol.

80ECB0A1-121F-49DE-B130-3E719575F406_zpssjxrnhqm.JPG

profile.country.BE.title
Portmixus
Hero

I don't have the A77II anymore (got one on loan, but had to return it).

I didn't read the entire thread, but if you're looking for a way to make all AF points visible...it's worth the try.

In the menu it's called:

AF Area Auto Clear Sets whether the focus area should be displayed all the time
or disappear shortly after the focus is achieved.
(On/Off)

If this doesn't work, I don't think it's possible. (except for the 15 AF point mode, all AF points are shown continuously).

Thanks but this has already been discussed and is not what I'm looking for. All this does is make the selected AF point disappear after focus has been achieved, it does not display the AF point grid.
profile.country.BE.title
Portmixus
Hero

Sorry it didn't help, I guessed that.

I also appreciate it to see where I am on the grid, therefore I used the 15 point AF, but then you have only the center corss type AF point. To overcome this, the only thing left is experience and memorise the grid :slight_smile:

Perhaps in a future firmware upgrade...(79 AF points gives a very dense image and probably the reason why they don't show this as an option)...

This is the trouble I've been explaining through this thread. I can memorise the grid, BUT there is then no grid displayed to know where you are on the grid. As I've said you can toggle this grid on and off when using wide AF and I don't think it clutters the screen up as the squares on the grid are very small and quite faint.

As I've said already I find it strange they give you option to toggle the grid on and off in wide, but not in spot. Obviously it's not needed for centre, and it makes sense not to show it in expandable spot, but it would be very useful (for me at least) to have the grid displayed using flexible spot.
huvmannen
New

i guess you may find what you seek by puch the Fn button then go in to focus Area

guess late awnser on this post but ill just got mine so 🙂

profile.country.GB.title
Snerkler

Thanks, but no that just selects the different AF mode, doesn't allow you to select a grid using single spot (flexible spot)