Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia virus ?

profile.country.GB.title
f6dqm1

Bravia virus ?

Hello. There's something weird about my TV Bravia KD32W800. On one TV channel, always the same channel, there is a transparent panel that is superimposed on the image. This panel contains the text : "Welcome to nginx! blablabla". There are a lot of posts on Internet about this nag. They most apply to PCs and smartphones but not for Android TVs. I would like to know how to get rid of this panel. Is this a virus ? When I restart the TV, the panel disappears for a while but always re-appears after some delay. The only way to clear it is to stop the Wifi connection to my Internet router. But this is not the solution I would like.

The TV channel which is concerned is received from a local  TV emitter, from outside, not from internet. I have tried to clear the datas of the maximum applications which are installed in this TV but no way !

It is a virus, which sort of antivirus can I install and run ?

If it comes from a particular application, which one is it ?

Thanks for answers.

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@f6dqm1 

Which Freeview channel is affected, number and name?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
f6dqm1

It is a free french digital TV channel named "L'Equipe" (sports channel). You can find it live on Internet but I don't use internet to watch it. I watch it from the external TV antenna.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@f6dqm1 

That’s the name, fine, but what channel number does it come up on?

And then what happens if you temporarily turn off the WiFi or Ethernet connection on the TV?

The likelihood is that the channel is transmitting the signal from a system on which nginx is incompletely setup, rather than you having a virus on the TV, which if you did, I would expect to affect every channel, not just this single one.

profile.country.GB.title
f6dqm1

Well, on all french Internet providers, the channel is 21 (Orange, SFR, Bouygues etc). Also same number on the free air DTV. Now if you are looking for this channel on other streaming platforms such as Netflix, I can't tell.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@f6dqm1 

You are showing a UK flag. Are you in the UK, or in France? This is a UK Community.

When you are watching this channel, if you disconnect the aerial from the TV, does the signal stop?

profile.country.GB.title
f6dqm1

I am in France. You know, in Jersey and Guernesey, lot of english people watch to the french TV channels !

I did not try to disconnect the TV antenna. I will try it. But what will this teach us ?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@f6dqm1 

That if the signal stops and the screen goes completely blank, then you have definitely been watching a TV over the air channel on which this nginx message has been superimposed by the broadcaster.

And you should contact them to query it.

But if the sports picture ceases, but still leaves the nginx message showing, then this is something your TV is doing, for whatever reason.

profile.country.GB.title
f6dqm1

I did the test : When I disconnect the TV antenna, the TV image disappears and the superimposed image is still here.

If I switch to another channel with TV antenna still disconnected, the superimposed disappears and I get the expected warning saying that no signal is present, check your antenna cable etc.

If I reconnect the antenna, the image comes back and when switching to the channel L'EQUIPE (21) the superimposed image comes back again over the TV image. Only on this channel.

So this nginx message image does not come from the emitter but is generated by some application inside the TV and comes from Internet. But this was my initial idea because when I switch  off the Wifi connection, the nginx message disappears. 

I would like to know  which application generates this message ONLY on this channel !

I have this sort of message on the ARTE channel (franco-german TV channel) but no so annoying : When switching  to the ARTE channel, I get a small image asking me to install the ARTE application by clicking the red button. But it lasts a few seconds and disappears. If I disconnect Internet, the image does not appear.

There is in this Bravia TV set an app which surveys what I am watching and which generates notifications according to the channel I am watching. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@f6dqm1 

I’m running out of ideas, but this is an excellent job of qualifying the problem.

As a last gasp (!) can you try deleting that app (having first checked that you can get it back later from the Android TV Store), and seeing if that clears the problem? As it seems more than possible that this app, or one operating in this way, could be what is doing this?