Join now - be part of our community!

Phone cuts out after 30 minutes

TC-MCSP1
Visitor

Phone cuts out after 30 minutes

Hi, 

I have my new phone, Sony Xperia 10, the problem i have is that during a call that i make, the phone cuts out after 30 minutes. This has happened 3 or 4 times now. Can anyone help me solve what to do to stop this happening. I've read on other forums about deleting apps, but what ones do i delete.

Thanks in advance 

40 REPLIES 40
Jonas
Master

Hi @TC-MCSP, welcome to our forum and sorry to hear about this. Slightly_frowning_Face

There is no setting in the device that will end a call after a certain amount of time, so it's either a downloaded application that is causing this, or that your operator perhaps have a specific setting for each subscription.

Are you using the same subscription that you did on your old device or did you get a new SIM card/signed up for a new subscription? If you are not using your old SIM card or have a new subscription, get in touch with your operator so they can check on their end.

For the actual device and a downloaded application, try restarting your device in safe mode where downloaded applications are not started and make a call that is 30 minutes and see if it still cuts out or not.

Let me know if that helps!

TC-MCSP1
Visitor

Hi Jonas

Thanks for your reply. I have the same sim as in my previous phone, there is no limit on my phone calls. I suspect like you have said it is an app i have downloaded. 

I will restart phone and use in safe mode, if this is ok then it definitely is an app i have downloaded. How will i know which one?? I suspect i will have to a factory reset?

Thanks in advance 

profile.country.GB.title
gemrowe
New

I am getting exactly the same issue since the last phone upgrade so hope there is a fix.

Along with this the alarm now goes off 3 times when only set once and any pdf file download I do from facebook disappears and is nowhere to be found!

profile.country.GB.title
gemrowe
New

I have the Xperia XZ3...

Jonas
Master

Hi again @TC-MCSP, sorry for the late reply.

It's very tricky to know what application could be the case, but it's most likely something related to phone calls.

I know a lot of users use applications that block calls from sellers and so on and apps like that are most likely the cause.

A factory reset should not be needed and if you do one and install the previous apps you had on the device, you will run into the same problem again.

Copperbird93
Visitor

I have the exact same problem. Every call (not WiFi calls like Whatsapp, only ordinary dial a number calls) gets cut off after precisely 30 min. Vodafone told me that this was not caused by them and is a Sony issue.

Maybe this was installed to prevent accidental pocket dial calls to last 10 hours?

But I really need to know how to fix it. I provide telephone sessions for patients with mental health issues and it's really not ok to cut them off every 30 minutes. 

pressefr
Contributor

I would check a list of things. 

I wonder if there is a certain app that uses up too much memory that force closes your calling app? 

You can check in developer options:

2 finger slide down notifications drawler > gear icon settings > system > about phone > (on the bottom click 5 or more times rapidly) build number

< Go back 

system > advance > developer options > Memory memory used by apps > check the past 3, 6, 12 hours

Maybe you can find the culprit app and delete it. 

Screenshot_20200326-030516.png

2 finger slide down notifications drawler > gear icon settings > Network & Internet > Internet Setting > Accept (Download MMS settings)

2 finger slide down notifications drawler > gear icon settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Network > Roaming is off, > Access Point Names (ask your carrier what is the newest APNs setting)Screenshot_20200326-024833.png

App drawer > long press Phone Icon > click circle icon with "i" > clear storage & clear cache

> Advance > open by default > clear defaults

> Permissions > re activate all permissions._20200326_024727.JPG

Network & Internet > Wifi > Wifi Preferences > Open Network notifications (turn off, to prevent hunting for wifi everywhere where you go.)

I hope this some how trouble shoots your problem.

Endless its a case where you accidentally press airplane mode with your cheek. You can move your Airplane and LTE icons off your first page.

Light measures for on screen time_20200326_033518.JPG

Or use extreme measures to keep your call dialer open and locked by screen pinning 🔒 

Security > screen pinning

To use: open call app, slide up half way 1/4 ways, icon on top, pin

_20200326_033823.JPG

Make sure you're setup of "Digital Wellbeing & Parental Controls" are setup correctly. Which you can set apps to limited usage by 30 minutes at a time.Screenshot_20200326-035923.png

profile.country.GB.title
Xeno-man
Explorer

Hi I have the same problem with my Sony Xperia Xz1 compact. The network has no restrictions on call lengths whatsoever. I have trouble-shooted it with Vodafone on their CS and tech lines and they say they don't even have the ability to time-limit calls in this way. Some functions warn you about costs running high, but no automatic cut offs of calls.  

Since my phone gives me the time of the call I can be certain that the calls last 30 minutes exactly, not one second more or less.  This rules out the idea of it being the result of an overload or something of that nature. 

I have troubleshooted my phone and run the diagnostics for bad behaving apps. Nothing pops up.

I googled this issue with no brand name attached and immediately found all these Sony xperia issues, so I don't think that's coincidence. And like the other customer, WhatsApp and Signal calls are not affected, only mobile network calls. Vodafone says it's nothing to do with them, so can't somebody from Sony be persuaded to give an answer? 

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hi all,

I heard this issue happened with Xperia phones who have SIM cards with Vodafone. Did you try to test another SIM card with a different operator with the phone and check if the same thing will happen or not?