Join now - be part of our community!

'Running-In' (breaking-in) a Sony A90J ?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Sofaraway
Explorer

'Running-In' (breaking-in) a Sony A90J ?

Hi,

Prior to purchasing a Sony A90J I would like to find out whether there is a 'running-in' period?

I noted that there is advice on YouTube for an OLED to 'broken' in by running a changing sequence of nine major colours up to a period of 200 hours  i.e. during the 8 nights when not being used.

I don't immediately believe everything I see or hear on YouTube, so I wanted to check out whether this 'was a real thing' and particularly whether it applied to the Sony A90J

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Please let me know where I should be posting this question.

Thanks in advance guys.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

of course all electronics needs burn in. 

But as any other products, just use it. So run movies or play a tv channel you wanna watch to do it. No need to watch those "special videos". 

Especially with the new cognitive XR, it needs to learn to shine. Out of the box, there are some action scenes it can't handle correctly but with time will adapt. Just sit and enjoy you new toy  😃

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Sofaraway,

the A90J is no OLED TV - it has an IPS panel with full array LED backlight. There is no "breaking in" needed.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Sofaraway
Explorer

Nic,  bear with me - I'm a bit confused.

On the Sony website (https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/a90j-series? etc ) the model is described as an OLED.

Would you mind clarifying?

Thank you

Sony A90J 2021 b.png

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Sofaraway,

forget what I said - I thought of the X90J and didn't have my coffee when I wrote that comment... Sonys names are utterly confusing - even to me.

For OLED-TVs - even there "breaking them in" would be news to me. It just takes off time of the lifespan of the OLED pixels - I personally wouldn't do it.

Also - if anything like that is needed (we are talking about 200 hours here) - it is done in the factory already, so again no need for you as an end user to do anything at home once you set up your TV.

- Nic

profile.country.NL.title
pa3eia
Expert

@IamNic  schreef:

Sonys names are utterly confusing - even to me.

A= Oled and X= LED, J=2021

73's

I don't know everything, just trying to help you!!!
Thanks about the Kudos!!!
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @pa3eia,

thank you for that - as I said - I just mixed up the model names in this case.

You are right though, all letters in the Sony model names have a certain meaning and once you have them memorized it becomes a lot easier to NOT mix them up :slight_smile:

- Nic 

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

of course all electronics needs burn in. 

But as any other products, just use it. So run movies or play a tv channel you wanna watch to do it. No need to watch those "special videos". 

Especially with the new cognitive XR, it needs to learn to shine. Out of the box, there are some action scenes it can't handle correctly but with time will adapt. Just sit and enjoy you new toy  😃

profile.country.GB.title
Sofaraway
Explorer

No problem.

Thanks. I'm 'getting there'. 

profile.country.GB.title
Sofaraway
Explorer

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Sofaraway
Explorer