Join now - be part of our community!

Soundbar

profile.country.GB.title
Den1947
Explorer

Soundbar

For about 3 years I have had a Yamaha soundbar connected to my Sony Bravia tv via the hdmi (arc ) socket .The sound has just suddenly disappeared.Can anybody suggest a solution.?.....I must admit I am very naive in these matters.

Thank you in advance

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Den1947 

My YSP2500 would sometimes not come on, but this then meant the sound came from the TV speakers themselves.

The first thing you need to do is put the TV onto a broadcast channel, say BBC1. This should be the simplest sound source, that both devices can handle.

Next check that neither the TV nor the soundbar is on Mute. If either or both are, unMute them.

If all is OK now, done deal.

If not, though, next unplug the HDMI cable between TV and soundbar (doesn’t matter at which end) and see if the TV then stays silent, or if the sound then comes out of its speakers.

This will tell you if it is a problem with the TV or the soundbar.

Please come back and let us know which, and we can focus on whichever device needs fixing. Also, can you please give the model details for both TV and soundbar? This will help if I have to delve into the manuals.

Roy1945 😛

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Bat_Rick
New

Hi Den,

I would suggest the same steps as Royalbrown, also you can try to use another way of connection like an optical cable for example.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Bat_Rick 

Thank you for ennobling me, but there’s no ‘l’ 😛

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Den1947
Explorer

Hello Roy1945

many thanks for your reply.....when the ARC socket stopped working I connected the sound bar via the optical cable.....it worked all day and periodically throughout the day I unplugged both the sound bar and the tv.I left the ARC socket connected just in case .After about 12 hours I disconnected the optical socket and low and behold the ARC socket was working and has worked ever since .....I have no idea what I did !!!!

I notice that there is a new update v 6.7140 which addresses my problem but I have not received it yet....I thought about trying to download it onto a memory stick but as I am not tech. efficient and the sound bar was currently ok I decided to leave alone.....I will keep your recommendations for future reference.Many thanks again.

profile.country.GB.title
Den1947
Explorer

Thanks for your reply......the only problem with just using an optical cable is that the DVD player does not connect to the soundbar....Please see my reply to Roy1945 ,everything seems to be working fine and I do not know how I did it !!!

Den1945

profile.country.GB.title
Bat_Rick
New

Hi Den,

We seem to sort the issue out! you can try to upgrade the software using different USB stick and make sure the format is FAT32.

Best regards,

Bat_Rick

profile.country.GB.title
Den1947
Explorer

Hiya Bat_Rick,

Many thanks for your reply.....As the soundbar is currently working I do not wish to disturb it......I have my TV set to automatically install updates and as I am not technically competent I propose to leave it until the update arrives automatically.If things change and the soundbar stops working again I will attempt to upgrade using a USB stick as you suggest.
Once again thank you for your help it is much appreciated 

best wishes 

Den

profile.country.GB.title
Den1947
Explorer

Hiya
Many thanks for your reply.....as the soundbar is currently working I propose to leave it as I have my TV set to automatically install new upgrades so that when the update arrives it will automatically install.I am not technically competent....however if the soundbar does stop working in the meantime I will do as you suggest and use a USB stick. Thanks again.
Best wishes
Den

Sent from my iPad