Join now - be part of our community!

Firmware CD-R not being recognised by RDR-HXD890

Alexander-C

Firmware CD-R not being recognised by RDR-HXD890

Apologies if this is a tad double post-ey, as like everyone else I’m having the issue with my digital channels vanishing and the messed-up EPG ( temporarily fixed by changing the region to France) and have posed this question in another thread, but as it’s not directly related to that I thought it would be ok to ask in a new topic:

I can’t get my RDR-HXD890  to recognise the CD-R I’ve burnt with the firmware file ‘sr08S124.mem’  that I downloaded  HERE . I keep getting "CAN'T USE" on the front display and "incompatible or unreadable disc" on the TV. My current firmware version is V1.15 . I’ve confirmed the firmware update is the correct size and appears to have downloaded correctly

mem file.jpg

I've used Imgburn with the settings suggested by the link (disc-at-once mode and ISO 9660 CD-ROM file system format)

img1.jpg

img2.jpg

img3.jpg 

This doesn’t work. I’ve tried making a few different settings but nothing I try works - I keep getting the "CAN'T USE" and "incompatible or unreadable disc” error messages. I've even downloaded a trial version of Nero Burning ROM 12 to see if burning CD-Rs with that would make any difference, but with no success either - I've wasted 6 CD-R's on this so far with no joy. I found a couple of old CD-RWs so I formatted them and tried it, but I get a ‘No disc inserted’ message with them.. Just to clarify, I've followed the instructions in the link exactly by pressing and holding the Rec-Stop and then the Play buttons on the actual unit itself, so I'm not trying to load the disc incorrectly using the remote or anything like that.

FWIW, my DVD burner has been playing up for some time and no longer seems to recognise DVDs that I'd previously made with it anymore (initially just DVD-RWs but now DVR-Rs as well) and seems to be pretty much limited to 'proper' DVDs only (as in bought films and TV boxsets), so I did wonder if the problem could be there. Having said that though, the system seemed to be perfectly able to recognise a CR-R with jpeg images on that I tested earlier and another one with MP3s on.

If anyone could advise me, or even better walk me through the exact way they transferred their firmware to CD-R I would be ETERNALLY grateful.

Sony, why didn’t you just make it possible to update the firmware using the RDR-HXD890‘s front USB connector? It would make life so much easier!

10 REPLIES 10
benboo
Explorer

Just found this old post as I am having the same problems with my RDR-HXD890 failing to load DVD discs which have previously loaded fine. I keep getting the message 'incompatible disc', but recorder will eventually load DVD discs for films (i.e bought DVDs although even they have failed on occasion) but cannot load DVD-RW discs previously formatted, recorded on and finalised on the 890, I see you said your problems were resolved but you didn't say how ? My firmware version is 1.15, if you see this then any help would be appreciated.