Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN1080 D.C.A.C. EX and Bose Acoustimass 16

SOLVED
profile.country.IE.title
GT-IRL
Explorer

STR-DN1080 D.C.A.C. EX and Bose Acoustimass 16

Hello,

I have an original Bose Acoustimass 16 setup that is nearly 20 years old with cables buried under the wooden floor specifically for Bose configuration so AMP -> Acoustimass Woofer -> Speakers. Point is I wont be changing my speakers because I can't so I need to get the Sony to work as best as possible with the Bose. 

I now have a Sony STR-DN1080 and I have a problem in that the Sony auto speaker calibration (D.C.A.C. EX) gets the speaker calibration badly wrong. After calibration the base/subwoofer is simply out of control. With a previous Sony STR-DN1050 and a Denon AVR-1912 the auto calibration worked great with the Bose but I can't get this STR-DN1080 and the Bose to play nice together at all.

The Bose instructions say to set the speakers as LARGE in any auto calibration setup and this has worked in the past with the previous STR-DN1050 and the AVR-1912

Did anyone get an
 Acoustimass 15/16 & Sony STR-DN1080 to play nice.

Regards,

GT

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi GT,

Is your 1080 up-to-date?

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/audio-components-receivers-amplifiers/str-dn1080/download...

With the recent update they fixed an issue with auto calibration.

Cheers

Peter

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi GT,

Is your 1080 up-to-date?

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/audio-components-receivers-amplifiers/str-dn1080/download...

With the recent update they fixed an issue with auto calibration.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.IE.title
GT-IRL
Explorer

Yes running latest firmware but I haven't factory reset since applying.

Might give that a try this weekend.

GT
profile.country.IE.title
GT-IRL
Explorer

Thanks Pater,

While I had applied the update shortly after it came out I did not factory reset the receiver at the time.

Had some home renovations on recently and had to disconnect everything so had an opportunity to clean up everything, factory default the receiver and double check all connections. DACC helped me realise some workmen mixed up SL & SB lines when replacing some skirting board. 

Anyway auto calibration worked like a treat this time. 

Thanks for help.

GT