Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN1080 speakers

profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

STR-DN1080 speakers

I wonder if anyone here can give me some advice please?    I have an STR-DN1080, currently connected, and configured for 2.0 use using a pair of Celestion speakers as left & right.  These speakers can handle 150W each.

I now have a pair of rear speakers that came from an old Sony CRT based prologic TV.  The Sony speakers are rated at 15W each.

I have tried to find suggested power ratings for the various speakers to use with the STR-DN1080, but haven't found any details.   Would 15W rated speakers be able to handle the load of the surround channels on the amplifier?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi,

I would not recommend to use them as they quickly will die when you turn the volume a little louder.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

Thanks for this.  I am planning on borrowing a pair of JBL Control 1 speakers to test as rear speakers with it.   I have just seen JBL quote them as 8 ohm speakers so all good I thought as the on screen graphic for the STR-DN1080 say 6-16 ohm.

However now I see many places report the Control One speaker as 4 ohm.   Beyond me why companies can't get this right and consistent.  In a chat thread on the JBL site they confirm 8 ohm, but many reviews say 4 as does some versions of the spec sheet!!

I know it can damage an amplifier to use a speaker with an impedance below the designed value.  Has anyone here tried a 4ohm speaker with the 1080? 

I will put a meter across the speakers when I get them to measure the impedance.