Join now - be part of our community!

Scratched screen

SOLVED
Not applicable

Scratched screen

Dear readers, community and Sony Entertainment,

I am happy to announce I am an owner of the Xperia S despite the usual apple fanboys trying to convince me. First timer I stepped over to Android mobile phone and absolutely delighted to be with Sony.

However one day when I drove to work and took my mobile phone to check an app I had installed I noticed I had a about 10 scratches on my mobile phone. Now they don't look like they are deep however when the telephone 'sleeps' it's quite horrible and makes me not want to use it anymore. Terrible because so far I adore it.

Now I noticed there might be a factory seal on the Xperia S however when trying to remove it it is fairly stuck and not sure if this is removable.

So my question is if the Xperia S has a factory seal on it and wether there is an option to get the telephone fixed (From perhaps a particular company not sure if someone had it done?) from the scratches without losing it's functionality (Touch screen).

I all ready ordered Xperia S protectors and a silicon case for the phone.

Thanks for your effort in answering and hope to see reactions,

Jamesy89

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sam
Legend
Legend

You can remove the shatter protection slip though it is on quite firmly and can take a bit of time to remove. Based on what you have said it is likely that this is where the damage is and not on the screen itself.

What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Not applicable

All Xperia Model "should" have a factory pre-installed screen protector, the same with my last phone Xperia Arc and current Xperia S....I've test with my Arc, by using a Razor blade and "try real hard" to scratch the TINY section on the screen just outside the Screen protector, and its not scratchable.

Also, I dont understand your question clearly, you mean if there's a company that sell and install screen protector for you and not risk reducing its touch sensivity?

Not applicable

Thanks for answering 4King so far. I noticed there was indeed a sort of protection foil but wasn't 110% sure if I was able to remove it. I tried 'nailing' it away but it was pretty firm. Hopefully someone from Sony can confirm if, mine is bought in The Netherlands, this is indeed foil.

4King do you perhaps know wether there companies are able to fix these screens (If the fact remains it isn't in the foil) or even Sony? I guess Sony takes the phone in for a longer period of time (Understandable) so that would be quite hard on me Winking_Face

Helpfull answer so far!

cheers!

Not applicable

Soon some site online will sell Xperia S replacement screen, you can buy it and install it yourself, which has a high chance of you actually killing your phone, lol hope i  don't scare you.

I don't know any company beside Sony repair center who'll install it for you.

But buying the Screen itself and do self installation, the screen will be about $100.

For Sony to replace it for you will "probably" be around $150-250, w/o warranty.

Not applicable

Are the scratches on your phone still under warranty as far as you know? Or do you mean the warranty enclosed with your mobile provider?

No way I will do self repairation as I'm not real a tech guy.

If the scratches are the actual screen (and hoping your info is valid about removing it Winking_Face ) then I will have to send them to Sony sadly enough.

Sam
Legend
Legend

You can remove the shatter protection slip though it is on quite firmly and can take a bit of time to remove. Based on what you have said it is likely that this is where the damage is and not on the screen itself.

What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Not applicable

Going threw the official answer from Sam I can say that if you see indeed in the corners and below the sony sign a little edge that this is a shatter protection slip.

I succesfully removed the strip which LUCKILY contained the scratches.

I would like to remind and recommend people to buy a Sony Xperia S Silicon case and a few new protection slips to avoid future troubles.

Sam do you perhaps know if Sony sells these shatter protection slips or do you know from retailer sells these? Would it be possible for you to come up with some names?

They seem to be far more firm then the one I bought! Excellent reply Sam!

woldya
Visitor

Hey people! I just want to let U know - if U remove screen protector, U will have incorrect touch recognition when connect USB or headphones and will be very hard to clean up display out of fingerprints! If U decided to remove it because of scratches- apply new one immediately!

Not applicable

woldya wrote:

Hey people! I just want to let U know - if U remove screen protector, U will have incorrect touch recognition when connect USB or headphones and will be very hard to clean up display out of fingerprints! If U decided to remove it because of scratches- apply new one immediately!

What a load of FUD, you might get the odd bit of weirdness when using the swipe input when charging but this happens on lots of phones when on charge.

Best thing i did remove the shatter proof sheet, the screen is much nicer to use and it cleans so much more easily.