Join now - be part of our community!

NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT graphics card

DilB
Visitor

NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT graphics card

Hi Guys
I have a serious problem with my Vaio VGN-AR41M which is only just over 3 years old. I have been surfing the web (on my husbands computer) and basically the NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT graphics card is dead. When I boot up I can only see vertical coloured lines, I can hear when windows open but I can not do anything because of the coloured lines I have tried to connect an external monitor but it’s not sending a signal then it gets worse as this particular card has been discontinued please help as my husband wants his computer back

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.ru_RU.title
iBootWin
Visitor

Hi :slight_smile:
I think it's problem of the video card driver.
I decided it using software DiverMax 5.5

seregap
Visitor

contact sony support, they will most likely repair it for free. it's a common issue and is being dealt with by sony no matter in or out of warranty. i had two out of warranty laptops with the same faulty 8400gt card repaired free of charge

DilB
Visitor

Thanks for your responses, I have contacted Sony customer support and it seems to be a hardware problem as I have the lines in the BIOS screen. Will keep you posted.

TZR
Visitor

Thanks for your responses, I have contacted Sony customer support and it seems to be a hardware problem as I have the lines in the BIOS screen. Will keep you posted.

Hello, I have the same problem as you, I hope to talk to you, to see if have you solucionado.me has past few days in a vaio vgn fz 11z ago greetings, thanks.

On 100% is a graph. card.

TZR
Visitor

It seems that we are not the only, and the bad news is that the card is integrated the motherboard...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUvK0V1rzM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgq0-F67_kE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOfMO5c6i8k&feature=related
These are some, but there more.

profile.country.de_DE.title
itbroker
Visitor

Hi TZR,

Please, contact Sony support and your laptop will be repaired without any cost (This is applied to graphics card issue specifically).

profile.country.en_GB.title
vazkez22
Visitor

How about if my model isnt on a list of aplicable models and I have NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT with the same faulty (vertical lines on a screen) ? My model is VGN-NR21Z.

profile.country.en_GB.title
arhidakis
Visitor

Same problem here with Vaio VGN-NR31j/s. And just because my laptop is not in the list of defective GPU's Sony has given me

the rounaround.Treating me less than a human being - just playing the blame game that its NVIDIA'S fault (Especially when NVIDIA has paid compensatioon for this matter to SONY). They asked for £250 in total to fix the problem. Instead i took the matter in my own hands and fixed it myself.(By Relowing the GPU - and it works a treat)

If your laptop is out of warranty and not listed in the "special" models to be done free-of-charge contact me so i

can show you the right direction if you are a bit adventurous.

On another note me, my friends and my extended family who owned various SONY products through the years vowed to never buy again from SONY. Please don't take this as malice. But Sony is far from the company it presents itself to be.Make yourself a favour and next time buy the cheapest system with good specs and get a third party extended warranty on it.