Join now - be part of our community!

Disappointed at A65's AEB

profile.country.sv_SE.title
Ford.P
Visitor

Disappointed at A65's AEB

I am so disappointed in SLT A65 and A77 and the lack of a useful auto-bracketing to create HDR images.To make an HDR image requires at least three pictures with 2EV between. A65 and almost any other Sony camera models can only handle +/- 0.7 EV. A77 Serves 3 images +/- 2EV, but with 5 photos is the only +/- 0.7 EV, it is not useful for HDR. Why this limitation on such an expensive camera?
In several forums such Duxum.com and here is this lack complained to Sony. I had hoped that the firmwareupdate to the SLT, and NEX models would correct the deficiency but there was no correction. Why has Sony a autobracketing which is worse than ANY other camera brands? The other has a useful auto-bracketing even in low-cost models. Se this (not complete) list http://www.hdr-photography.com/aeb.html

My beloved SLT A33 has bathed in the sea and died. Now I have to buy new camera. I would love to buy a Sony but I have to choose another brand if I'm going to shoot HDR in RAW format. You had the opportunity to make some changes in firmware to get the perfect camera A65 and give it 3 frames +/- 2EV.

Is there any plan to alter the firmware that gives SLT cameras AEB with 3 frames +/- 2EV?

(Excuse my bad English, I have used google translate for this.)

12 REPLIES 12
Bieomax

Gorsimps8 did you do any research/reading of the specs before buying the camera? as I would imagine that if you aren't your going to do that you'll be just as disappointed with canon/nikon, as I'm pretty sure sync speeds are posted in the specs,

And regard Iso performance I would imagine you should be able to pull some pretty good pictures when you down sample to 20mp or 16mp, I would also say that if you want a good Iso usage in 24mpx go full frame as you'll just be disappointed with an aps-c sensor, more megapixels aren't always the answer especially on smaller sensors.
gorsimps8
Explorer

Bieomax, yeah we did do research, but that doesn't agree with the results I am getting. 

As for the shutter speed, I didn't see anything about the shutter speed on any reviews and I even asked the staff in the shop. I used to get better results on my old Sony a200 than on this.

Bieomax

so your shutter speed is that in terms of HSS or X-sync speed?

as both camera's are spec'd at 1/160 for sync speed. i suppose with HSS you have the EFCS on the A65 which can cause some issues with curtain ways of shooting?

I am curious to your set up and how your using it as to how you'd get better results from the A200