Join now - be part of our community!

Question about A77ii shutter button

profile.country.GB.title
Snerkler

Question about A77ii shutter button

Hi,

I've just upgraded from the A77 to the A77ii and I'm inding the shutter button very 'mushy', there's no definite 'stop' on half press and I have to say I don't find it as easy to focus lock because of this, I have ended up taking the shot on a couple of occasions. Is this normal for the A77ii or is mine faulty?

Cheers

13 REPLIES 13
bruceceng
New

I have the same problem. Does anyone else have this issue?

BabaRaw
Explorer

I have the same problem I thought that too that my A77ii is faulty seems like it is same with every one. And another thing that I have noticed is that AF in video mode makes noticably loud noise as compaired to A77 has anyone noticed it???
"I have bought A77ii with kit lens just in case"

profile.country.GB.title
Snerkler

I have come to the conclusion that it is just the way the new camera is as the demo one in store is the same I've since found out. Tbh with a day's use I got used to it and it's a non issue for me now.

With regards to the AF noise in video are you sure it's not the new liveview/half shutter IS working? Try turning it off and see if it's the same. 

BabaRaw
Explorer

No my friend its not that its not the IS sound as far as i know Lenses with IS make sounds I never had the problem with A77 with IS on. But still as you said I checked it again and this time on tripod it only makes sound when lens tries to change focus also the steadyshot in movie mode was OFF and the sound comes from lens.

profile.country.GB.title
Snerkler

Ah right, don't know why the lens would be any noisier, seems odd. 

The IS I was referring to was not a feature on the A77. On the original A77 it applied IS on exposure only and could not be seen through the EVF when composing the shot, the A77ii applies IS during half shutter press allowing you to get the benefit of IS in the viewfinder making it easier to focus, especially using long lenses and/or focus zoom. Whilst this is working on the A77ii you can hear a humming/whirring noise, but it's MUCH quieter than my Olymous EM10 in this regard. 

Thiis IS has its own setting in the menu 

BabaRaw
Explorer

Humming sound can be only heard in stills mode also the hand feel its vibration too when its working. Like I said its not the IS because it was turned off. Its the focus movement sound clearly. May be the new faster Mechanism of AF because auto focus is a little faster than A77... Also this time there are Two seprate SteadyShot options, one for stills and other for video. If you turn off the SteadyShot for Stills you wont hear that humming sound.

profile.country.GB.title
Snerkler

Fair enough, I've not used video to be honest so was just guessing. 

You had steady shot for both stills and video with the A77 too :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Snerkler

Fair enough, I've not used video to be honest so was just guessing. 

You had steady shot for both stills and video with the A77 too :wink:

BabaRaw
Explorer

Yes but not on the same page Still SteadyShot was on stills page and Movie SS was in Movie's and Usually people fail to realize that Kai the funny youtuber had the same problem he was shooting videos with Still SS on and was complaining about its not working as it should. but anyway I am clear now its just the lens motor sound when its focusing...:smileythumbsup: