Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A77ii Flash adapter question

profile.country.GB.title
Snerkler

Sony A77ii Flash adapter question

Hi,

I've just bought the Sony A77ii with the new hot shoe fitting, will the F42AM flash be fully compatible with an adapter? Is the right adapter the ADP-MAA, and does anyone know why Sony have dropped this from their site?

Cheers.

6 REPLIES 6
BabaRaw
Explorer

Sony has dropped it for the convenience of its users so that users can mount their third party flashes and other devices such as monitors mics etc. As the compatibility of F42AM is concerned yes it should definately work just as HVL-F60M which is standard hotshoe mount works on minolta mounts... and Yes ADP-MAA is the right adapter but do read the reviews of this item before buying...

profile.country.GB.title
Snerkler

Thanks for the reply. I don't understand why it's more convenient to drop the adapter? I understand why they've changed the hot shoe though. 

Ive vet not seen any issues raised on the reviews I've seen, is there an issue?

profile.country.BE.title
Portmixus
Hero

There are no (real) issues with the flash adapter. Only thing some people find disturbing is that the flash comes off the adapter, even if locked properly. I also use the adapter and have not experienced such a thing. The adapter is really well made...

One thing you do lose is the flash compensation ON the flash if you have a F60M flash (and only with this flash so far). You should still be able to use the flash compensation on the camera body. Only thing -as far as I can think of now- that you do lose.

Cheers

You're kidding? I use flash compensation all the time 😞  Is it a software thing that may be fixed, or it is due to the adapter?

Thanks for the info btw.

profile.country.BE.title
Portmixus
Hero

But you have the F42AM, so nothing changes for you. Fully compatible as the F42AM does not have a flash exposure compensation (FEC) on the flash. If you ever buy a F60M (notice the M (new shoe) versus AM (old shoe) ) it will mount directly on your A77II, so everything will work perfectly including the FEC.

Just in case I wasn't clear before:

Only the F60M has an option ON the camera to adjust flash exposure compensation (which is new for sony) and only when the adapter is used, this feature ON the flash does not work on old hotshoe cameras. (meaning that flash exposure compensation cannot be adjusted by changing it ON the flash). The flash exposure compensation will work in a classical sony-manner, meaning through the menu of the camera, as you do now.

Ahh right, sorry I misunderstood. Thanks again :slight_smile: