Join now - be part of our community!

SEL35F28Z Lens hood fell apart, is this a common occurrence?

shopman
Explorer

SEL35F28Z Lens hood fell apart, is this a common occurrence?

The front section of the lens hood of my SEL35F28Z lens fell off and I was left with one part attached to my lens and the other part, lens cap attached, on the ground.

On close inspection I found it was only fixed together with two very thin lines of black rubber or silcone adhesive.

Only just over a month old the lens has not received any blows, the lens cap just seems to be very badly glued together with an adhesive which is not suitable and obviously not up to the job.

Anyone else had this experience?

4 REPLIES 4
Bieomax

its a new one on me, if its new i'd take it back to the store

profile.country.NO.title
photosonic
Enthusiast

I posted about the same issue about two weeks ago ,not knowing that you already  had written about it.

I have experienced the same as you , the difference is that mine was purchased approx. a month before x.mas 2013 and fell apart about two weeks ago. So even if it lasted longer it's a problem that Sony have to take

seriously. I repaired mine with a glue intended for that type of material, and now it's working alright.

Spending so much money on a product , one should expect it to last longer than this.

And i have also like you treated it with care .

There is only two solutions to this issue in my opinion : either glue it properly or make it in one piece.

I too have the same problem (happened 2-3 weeks ago). I have been trying get Sony to fix it but the customer service keeps redirecting to different places. Feels like government office right now. I bought mine on 30th December 2013.

What (which adhesive) did you use to fix this?

profile.country.NO.title
photosonic
Enthusiast

Hi !

I used Scotch liquid superglue intended for non porous and hard materials from 3M to repair the lenshood.

I disconnnected the part that still was attached to the lens and made sure that there were no bad glue left

on either parts . Tried out the assembly bit without glue first and when i was sure they fitted i glued them together.

And when the glue had hardened i mounted it to the lens again.

In my opinion it's now better than new. It's still ok.

Sony really owe me for the glue -  lol , but that's never gonna. happen.

The tip to fix the problem is free for all , Sony included.