Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to watch NEX 7 AVCHD files on the iMac

profile.country.SE.title
ROLANDMULLERSUUR
New

Unable to watch NEX 7 AVCHD files on the iMac

I cannot play the AVCHD files recorded on my NEX7 on my iMac computer. It only recognize MP4files and download those automatically in my ihpoto but not the AVCHD files.

Sony answered that a third companyies software, not Sonys , must be installed , which one they will not tell, there are lots and I did not succeed with one of them.  Sony also argued that I should drag the AVCHD files from the cameramap directly to the computer and then play , but i do not have any software for it and  the Appstore cannot offer any software which could open such files, that must be wrong, isnt it? .

This is  a disappointment with the Sony  NEX 7 camera, why should just  Mac users have difficulties? And if its not the case: why dont Sony explain this more easily and directly? The sellers in the sony center do not know either!!

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Sorry to read of the troubles you are having.

Ideally what you need are codecs which are small files which are set to decode and display a file type on any computer. Ideally for a Mac, I would go down the route of downloading and using VLC Media Player (free from memory) since Quicktime does not support AVCHD and I am unsure weather Apple will update to support it. After all, it is their program.

What people online are stating is that newer versions of Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro do support AVCHD for editing and playback but most likely be a cost involved. Here is an old but worthwhile article to read up on http://suburbia.org.uk/blog/2007/07/28/175003.html

The thing is, advertising is always going to be a gray area. If companies put all the do's and don't on a box, well it is a lot of information to read. The same way it may also detract potential buyers. It is a massive inconvience especially when being stung but I honestly have to say, Sony are just doing what every other company does to keep the playing field even.

Hope that gives you some insight.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

If you have to have your AVCHD files directly converted to another chosen format, then yes, you probably do need a 3rd party app.

iPhoto will only show your stills files. If you launch iMovie instead it will 'see' your movie files and convert them to an Apple proprietory format; you'll then be able to edit and export them without further use of software. It's true your Mac can't natively deal with AVCHD files but there's no reason why you shouldn't use iMovie to import and edit.

According to this Apple KB article, iMovie has supported AVCHD since v8.0: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1793

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.it_IT.title
brorm2tsmac
Visitor

If you would like to play the Sony NEX 7 AVCHD videos with QuickTime Player on Mac, I suggest you convert your Sony NEX 7 AVCHD video to QuickTime MOV with 1920*1080 video resolution.

Maybe this tool could do a favor for you: Brorsoft MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac. It's able to 1080p/720p AVCHD/AVCHD Lite to MOV, MP4, M4V, etc. with different video resolutions for further playback on QuickTime Player, VLC Media Player, iPad, Galaxy Tab, Sony Tablet S, PS Vita and so on.

Besides, if you would like to import the Sony NEX 7 AVCHD videos to iMovie or FCP for further editing, I suggest you convert them to AIC MOV or Apple ProRes MOV with the smart tool too.

Here is a detailed guide about how to convert Sony NEX-7 AVCHD video to Apple ProRes for FCP X.

Regards,

brorm2tsmac

alaricqueen
Explorer

After visiting FCP official website, we know that FCP can't support 50P/60P videos. To smoothly edit Sony Alpha NEX-7 1080/60p AVCHD footages in FCP X on Mac, the first thing I have to do is to transcode Sony NEX-7 1080/60p AVCHD footages to FCP  compatible Apple ProPres codec for further editing by using UFUSoft AVCHD Converter for Mac.