Join now - be part of our community!

HDMI Info Banner Issue

profile.country.GB.title
Wales1976
Explorer

HDMI Info Banner Issue

Hi Everyone

I have three Sony Televisions in our House.

KD49XG8396  4K UHD- Suffers the info banner issue and its really annoying.

My xbox series x works fine on it no banner shows up though my mac desktop which is also plugged in constantly has the banner flashing across the screen.

My other two panels are 

KD43XD8099 4K UHD No issues what so ever and it has the option to disable the banner however i have no need to disable the banner on this as it works perfectly. Today i tested my computer on all three Television's and the KD49XG8396 is the only one with the problem.

The other Television is KDL32WE613 Standard HD1080P also with no issues.

I thought maybe it was to do with the resolution as certain things cannot reach 3840 x 2160p however my KD43 is showing 3840 x 2160p now and its fine with the computer though the computer only scales up 3360 x 1890 so not sure. My xbox series x works on the KDX49 without any issues.

I never noticed this problem before until this year so it must be something Sony have done through an update which clearly effects the HDMI signal dropping in and out and triggering this banner.

i have been informed they are investigating which is fine however  a solution does need to be found as the whole purpose of your screen is for viewing and anything that impairs that experience is going to make your screen unusable for gaming if effected and working on a computer very frustrating.

I do like the screens just wish they could fix this.

I have tested all combinations of settings many different HDMI cables and on all HDMI ports and now tested my equipment on all three panels in our house and for now i have put my KXD49 in our living room as it is used for TV only using the built in free view so no HDMI in use and moved the KD43XD into my office for the computer and my xbox series x.

I do hope this is fixed soon as any thoughts of upgrading this Christmas to a new Sony panel with HDMI 2.1 at

120 mhz with 4kUHD HDR is really going to be a concern as without going into the shop to test my stuff before buying why would i buy another its a big risk.

I fully appreciate things can go wrong and i do believe this is a software problem not hardware as there are too may people with this problem.

Things go wrong with software updates on computers all the time we just need to know a solution is being worked.

Fingers crossed a solution is found soon.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Wales1976
Explorer

It looks like it could be the version 9 software update that has done this as there were updates to the video signal for some tv's my KD43XD8099 did not receive this update its still version 8.

My kD49XG8396 on the other hand received this update and now has the banner issue.

I don't ever remember it doing this when i bought the panel as its sole purpose for me is for my xbox and my computer for work.

Using it for work on the computer is unbearable as its such a distraction every time it flashes across a large proportion of the screen.

So what ever was done to upgrade video signal for older tv's has potentially caused signal drop out which then triggers the HDMI banner as it is triggered when it detects a signal from the port.

I am lucky i have other panels and was able to swap them over as mentioned in my other post.

Not everyone has that option and i would not be happy if it was doing it with a sky Q box while watching tv like some people have reported thankfully we just watch free view through the built in tuner so nothing is plugged into HDMI in the living room.

I have reported this and raised a case but it is under investigation and looking on here has been for months.

In the first instance most companies would blame external devices however there are far too may problems with everyday items for this to be something else its the software update and a signal issue just my opinion after testing and trying to fix this for months and it did not do this when i bought the screen.

Come on Sony your screens are fantastic this bug is is not doing you any favors we need a solution and only you can fix this i am just glad its not just me i thought i was loosing it or my tv was broken. 

This bug has spoiled a screen i used to love using and it has put me right off upgrading until i know its fixed across all panels with appropriate software revision if i am indeed correct and it is this causing the issue. 

Kind regards

Martin