Join now - be part of our community!

"Application not found" when transfered to new memory card

SOLVED
mountainb
Visitor

"Application not found" when transfered to new memory card

I am having Xperia Pro with latest software update. Recently I tried to replace my 8GB memory card with 32GB memory card. I copied all data of 8GB into 32GB card and then replaced it in phone.

I found that though phone was able to detect memory card as in Phone Settings -> Storage it was able to show Free space 25 GB. But when tried to click on application it was showing message "Application not found".

All internal memory apps are working good but moved external apps are disabled.

I also tried to format SD card from phone and then let phone create internal files in new card and then replaced 8GB on it. But dint work.

Local Sony service centre also could not solve it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mountainb
Visitor

Trick I applied in that is :

Before you replace old card with new, move all external sd card apps to phone. Then replace new card and then again move all again to SD card.

You may not need to reinstall/download.

But can work in phones only having large internal memory. Not in my case. Though I used it for some apps.

Alternatively in case of less internal memory, you have to repeat shifting of apps.

i.e.

1. Keeping old card "Move some apps to phone" that your limit of internal memory can support

(Considering size of specific app, It will automatically notify you that cant move more apps to internal memory as not enough space, so user can continue till that message comes or can choose rest smaller apps for that step.)

2. Replace new card

3. Move Apps to new SD card.

4. Replace old card and Repeat all the steps.

I tried applying above steps also keeping "Apps 2 SD" app in phone only all the time so it can work in both phone and have not got any error yet in multiple shifting between cards. I just hoped that multiple shifts dont corrupt data. Though no problem with me for now.

But is this common to all Android mobiles ? As I dint felt it much discussed on web.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

you have to reinstall/redownload those apps that are not working

is Sony spying on users in this forum?

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/60197

Don't forget to mark the Correct Answers & Helpful Answers

RELATED topic, if you have some time please check this thread

http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/244522#244522

mountainb
Visitor

Yes, though hoped of having alternative solution. Any logical reason in that?

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

that's how android work, if you move apps to the SD card and you reformat or replace the SD card most of the app will be gone

mountainb
Visitor

Trick I applied in that is :

Before you replace old card with new, move all external sd card apps to phone. Then replace new card and then again move all again to SD card.

You may not need to reinstall/download.

But can work in phones only having large internal memory. Not in my case. Though I used it for some apps.

Alternatively in case of less internal memory, you have to repeat shifting of apps.

i.e.

1. Keeping old card "Move some apps to phone" that your limit of internal memory can support

(Considering size of specific app, It will automatically notify you that cant move more apps to internal memory as not enough space, so user can continue till that message comes or can choose rest smaller apps for that step.)

2. Replace new card

3. Move Apps to new SD card.

4. Replace old card and Repeat all the steps.

I tried applying above steps also keeping "Apps 2 SD" app in phone only all the time so it can work in both phone and have not got any error yet in multiple shifting between cards. I just hoped that multiple shifts dont corrupt data. Though no problem with me for now.

But is this common to all Android mobiles ? As I dint felt it much discussed on web.

yuxandyou
Visitor

You can use too a program for raw copy of sdcard. I get a new card from 8Gb to 16Gb, I make a raw copy from 8Gb sd card and restore it in my new 16Gb sdcard, after it you have the same 8Gb in your new card, then go to a linux machine and with Gparted resize the partition and all works perfectly, I use HDD Raw copy