Join now - be part of our community!

Top contacts not deleting contacts when synced with Google

SOLVED
TheLastMan
Visitor

Top contacts not deleting contacts when synced with Google

I have deleted a "duplicate" contact in Google as I had two for the same person, one under her maiden name and one under her married name.  However, the old contact still appears in the "top contacts" list and I cannot delete it. Is there any way of actually deleting a contact from Top Contacts as opposed to simply not displaying it?

The main irritation is that all communication to their mobile phone number has become associated with the contact that has been deleted from Google (but still appearing in Top Contacts) rather than the corrected contact.

So I tap on "Sarah Smith" under Top Contacts to text her mobile number and it creates the text under the spurious entry for "Sarah Jones", her maiden name.

Clearly sync is not working as it should.  Contacts that do not appear anywhere else on the phone or in Google should not be appearing in Top Contacts.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TheLastMan
Visitor

Solved!

Eventually found how to do this.  Editing the new contact I found that it was linked to Google and to Top Contacts under the new name. 

So, as well as those, I also linked it to the old Top Contacts entry under the old name that I could not edit.  This made the old name in Top Contacts disappear, but now I found I had duplicates of all the numbers when I looked in Top Contacts, but only one set if I looked at the normal contacts entry.

After some further trial and error I found the following finally got rid of the duplicate numbers:

Go to settings / Accounts & sync.

Click on the Top Contacts Sync entry

Un-sync Top Contacts

Re-sync Top Contacts which forces a sync

I went back to the Top Contacts widget and looked at the entry under the new name and the duplicate entries had disappeared.

What appears to be happening is that Top Contacts will delete a contact if it is deleted on the phone, but will continue to show it if it is deleted in Google.

Because of the sync between Google and the phone, the normal phone Contacts list was no longer showing the entry I had deleted in Google, but Top Contacts would not delete it because it had been deleted on Google rather than the phone (if you get my drift!).

So to avoid problems like this in the future if I want to delete an entry I will do it on the phone and not in Google!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Johan
Master

Could you please send me your details in a PM, and will forward this for investigation.

Make a relevant topic and include the following.

Name:

Phone nr:

E-mail:

Operator:

Product(s):

IMEI nr:

Build number:

VaibhavAds
Visitor

To clear entry from Top Contacts, got to Settings>Apps>All>Top Contacts. Clear data.

Caution:

This will erase all entries from the widget.

Don't forget to mark Correct Answers & Helpful Answers

TheLastMan
Visitor

Tried that, twice, and the same old data came back.  It did not erase the problem entry.

VaibhavAds
Visitor

Did you reboot after disabling and enabling data? Clear data from all related apps.

TheLastMan
Visitor

What I did:

Removed widgit from home screen

Went into Settings / Apps and selected Top Contacts

Forced "Stop"

Deleted "Cache"

Erased all data

Rebooted the phone.

Did this twice but it made no difference, the old data keeps cropping up.

I also cleared all text conversations with this person, and also cleared the phone log.  Without that data Top Contacts should not be able to calculate who are and aren't my top contacts, so clearly it is remembering old data despite my "deleting" it.

What other "related apps" are there that I can remove data from?

I have no intention of erasing all my Google contacts!!

VaibhavAds
Visitor

Above thing worked for me in the 1st step. That's why I suggested you the same.

Try the 1st step by clearing Call history.

If above didn't worked and you've time, then backup,delete and import contacts. This should work.

TheLastMan
Visitor

I have no contacts on the Phone or SIM, they are all in Google / Gmail contacts.  I could "un-sync" my phone from Google, but that is rather a drastic step for such a minor problem.

Anyway the offending contact is not in my Google Contacts, it has been deleted.  The problem seems to be Top Contacts "remembering" old data long gone from both the phone and Google.

TheLastMan
Visitor

Solved!

Eventually found how to do this.  Editing the new contact I found that it was linked to Google and to Top Contacts under the new name. 

So, as well as those, I also linked it to the old Top Contacts entry under the old name that I could not edit.  This made the old name in Top Contacts disappear, but now I found I had duplicates of all the numbers when I looked in Top Contacts, but only one set if I looked at the normal contacts entry.

After some further trial and error I found the following finally got rid of the duplicate numbers:

Go to settings / Accounts & sync.

Click on the Top Contacts Sync entry

Un-sync Top Contacts

Re-sync Top Contacts which forces a sync

I went back to the Top Contacts widget and looked at the entry under the new name and the duplicate entries had disappeared.

What appears to be happening is that Top Contacts will delete a contact if it is deleted on the phone, but will continue to show it if it is deleted in Google.

Because of the sync between Google and the phone, the normal phone Contacts list was no longer showing the entry I had deleted in Google, but Top Contacts would not delete it because it had been deleted on Google rather than the phone (if you get my drift!).

So to avoid problems like this in the future if I want to delete an entry I will do it on the phone and not in Google!