Join now - be part of our community!

NEX-5 buttons doesn't work

SOLVED
qvantis
Explorer

NEX-5 buttons doesn't work

Hi all,

All the buttons on my NEX-5, except the shutter button, stopped working from one day to another of no obvious reason. I have tried soft reset several times with no success. Successfully uppgraded to latest fw hoping it would do the trick, but it didn't. Has anyone else experienced the same problem and found a solution? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
qvantis
Explorer

Hi,

Yes, but I'm not sure exactly which step actually fixed it. I just fiddled around holding different buttons in different combinations while switching on and of, hoping there would be more than one way to soft reset the camera. To my surprise one of them worked! :slight_smile: Sorry I can't give you an exact solution, but I sure hope you will succeed!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Bieomax

Hi Qvantis

how long have you had the camera? as if your still in warrenty or have extended warrenty i'd consider getting it booked in for repair
qvantis
Explorer

Hi and thanks for your reply!

No warranty left sadly enough since I bought the camera almost three years ago. As I've learned from others in the community repair won't be cheap so I will try to repair it myself. I'd just love to get a hint in the right direction before I start. I have a strong feeling it's software related since the labels for the two menu buttons are missing in the display.

qvantis
Explorer

Ok, now I'm sure the issue is software related. After hard reset (see below) I had to set time and date again, and at that point both the wheel and set button worked, but after that the issue was back. Tried another reset with the same result. Ideas anybody?

Don't know if there is another way to hard reset, but I dismounted the back panel and managed to reset the camera the brutal way by shorting the backup battery (I know, it would have been better to remove it, but I felt lazy).

hugo0333
New

I'm having the same issue. Did you find a solution?

qvantis
Explorer

Hi,

Yes, but I'm not sure exactly which step actually fixed it. I just fiddled around holding different buttons in different combinations while switching on and of, hoping there would be more than one way to soft reset the camera. To my surprise one of them worked! :slight_smile: Sorry I can't give you an exact solution, but I sure hope you will succeed!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Qvantis,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..:smileyhappy:

Ah yes the random button pushing solution, I have used that in the past..:smileylaugh:

Glad you managed to resolve your problem & if you happen to remember the sequence you used to fix the button problem then please share because it looks like it could be useful to others..:smileywink: