Join now - be part of our community!

ax53 help with memory card

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
motorhomer

ax53 help with memory card

Hello all

I have just bought the AX53 camcorder and wanted to get the bet SD card for recording in 4k 

I already have a Sandisk Extreme 90mb/s 64GB card which is ok in all formats except 4K

So I was told to get an extreme pro card. I bought the following

SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB Class 10 SDXC Memory Card 4K Ultra HD 

but I get the following error when I turn on the camera

Either switch to sdxc class 10 or uhs-ii compatible memory card or change file format

I assume from this that the card I bought is not compatible with this camcorder

Can someone please recommend the best one to get so I don't waist anymore money 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @motorhomer,

@motorhomer  schrieb:

IamNic if you have the same card 

I actually have five or six of these cards, so yes, they definetly work.

Are you certain the card is genuine? There are many counterfeit cards around nowadays which are slower/smaller cards with a fake sticker and config file.

- Nic

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi motorhomer,

Welcome to the community.

I'll see what I can find out for you and in the meantime, maybe someone else in the community can assist.

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.GR.title
ioagount

Hi motorhomer,

I use for my FDR-AX33 the Canvas React https://www.kingston.com/en/memory-cards/canvas-react-microsd-card without problems. I think your card is appropriate for your camera. Before you do anything, check the things below:

1) Be sure that your card uses the exFAT file system that allows recording large files.

2) Update the firmware on your camera.

Give us feedback.

Good luck!

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @motorhomer,

to add to what @ioagount already told you, look out for cards with a "V"-Rating (Video Speed Rating) - for your camera you need at least a V20 Card, I personally recommend to use V30 cards from SanDisk (Extreme Pro) to have slight headroom (V30=card is able to write 30MB/s continiously).

Your camera can record with 100Mbit/s max which is 12.5MB/s writespeed.

Also all SDXC cards support exFAT format - they are available from 64GB upwards.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
motorhomer

Thank you both for the replys

The card I bought had V30 on it. Picture for this below. i will look up how to check the format not tried this.

I'm having lot trouble with audio on this camera at present which I've posted in a separate question. This might be going back to shop soon when they reopen.

sd card.png

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @motorhomer,

have you formatted the card in the camera at least once? (be aware that by doing this ALL files on the card are gone)

If that doesn't resolve your issue, format the card on your PC in the exFAT format.

I have the same card and can record in 4K 60/100Mbit/s both with my FDR AX100 and FDR AX700.

Which audio issues do you have? Can you please link to your post regarding your audio issues, I might have missed that one.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
motorhomer

I have tried formatting the SD card in the camcorder but not through the PC.

It works ok on my Cannon DSLR

Will try formatting this tonight when I get home from work

Link to the audio below 

Audio problems

profile.country.GR.title
ioagount

And don't forget to update the firmware on your camera!

profile.country.GB.title
motorhomer

I did that with the sound issue, says its on current version but will recheck just in case

profile.country.GB.title
motorhomer

I have now checked the card and it is already formatted to exFAT. 

I also did another format with a computer to make sure.

I have also rechecked the software update and it is stating the software if the latest version for this device.

I am still getting the error shown in picture below. IamNic if you have the same card then I can only assume this is a camera or card error.

Seeing as this card works ok in PC and in my cannon I will assume a camcorder error and i still have the volume problem is another discussion which has not been resolved. 

I think i will start returns procedure on this