Join now - be part of our community!

Lost Backup with Android Gingerbread upgrade

SOLVED
Not applicable

Lost Backup with Android Gingerbread upgrade

Hi all,

I got the new Anfdroid Gingerbread upgrade last night, but have only just found out that the the back up I ran using the the SE app will not be accessible after running the upgrade!!

Can anyone please let me know if any of the apps on android market can pick up my backup and restore it to my X10, as I've basically now got a phone with no contacts, apps, messages or any data what so ever on it!!! HEEEEELLLLPPP!!!

Cheers

Odub

206 REPLIES 206
Not applicable

hi uliwooly...i tried all the ways that u have posted but it still dont seem to work...i dloaded from other sources n it still does not work...the link to megaupload is not available to me...keep telling the web page is not available...could u send me the file to my email? james.nkl@gmail.com

Not applicable

hi lovetonton...r u from msia? im facing the same problem wit u as well...i dloaded other apk from other sources n it does not work....could u be kind enough to email me the apk file? james.nkl@gmail.com

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

It should work now

Not applicable

I followed your instructions and succeeded in installing the backup & restore software. Thank you very much.

But when trying to restore from the backup I made before upgrading this morning, I get the following message: 'File error. The backup file could not be read' (translated from Swedish). Another backup file from november last year seems to work, but I would like to restore applications that I payed for more recently. Any idea about what went wrong?

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

I had the same problem even when we were on 1.6, then 2.1 and now 2.3

Some times, I wasn't able to retrieve my backup, I guess the file was corrupted, I did noticed few times that it didn't worked.

for example if I have the backup & restore running in the background (backing my data) and I start using other apps that requires a lot of RAM, android will terminate the backup & restore and thus corrupting the file, once I switched back to Backup & Restore it said it was done but it wasn't

you could turn off/on your phone and see if it works

sorry

Not applicable

Rebooting does not help.

I cannot believe SE fooled me into this upgrade without informing about the Backup/Restore problems. Never more SE.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

well actually if you read carefully on the official blog, Sony Ericsson said that the Backup & Restore wasn't going to be part of the 2.3.3 update for the Arc

http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/2011/03/25/update-on-xperia%E2%84%A2-x10/

Will any functionality from the previous software version disappear by doing this upgrade?

Yes – the work is still ongoing so details will be communicated closer to launch but these are the current expected limitations:

• The current plan is that the XperiaTM X10 will get the Android standard Camera user interface and therefore features like e.g. face recognition, smile shutter etc will be lost.
  • Moxier is replaced by the gingerbread native EAS functionality.
  • Mediascape is being replaced by the media experience widgets and music player included in our new 2011 products.
  • DRM keys for protected content on your phone will be lost in the upgrade process.
  • The Sony Ericsson Backup and Restore client is not supported in the Gingerbread version and will therefore be lost.
  • Support for bi-directional languages will be reduced compared to the latest version of the 2.1 version of the XperiaTM X10.
This is my suggestion
next time you use the Backup & restore, and your done backing up
open backup & restore -> restore -> tap on the latest backup file and see if it opens
Not applicable

I did not read the blog before upgrading. I upgraded when the phone this morning told me to upgrade. I followed the INSTRUCTIONS, including the INSTRUCTION to make a backup with Backup & Restore. I then tried to follow the INSTRUCTION to restore with Backup & Restore. An instruction that SE at that point knew would not work.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

I don't think its so much the update, I think it was the file when you were backing up, like the example I gave you above, It has happened to me before, that's why I use other methods to backup everything that I don't want to lose incase I have to repair my phone or update

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/thread/19735

Not applicable

Combining the fact that Backup & Restore has not worked correctly and SE has had knowledge about it for a long time, combining this with its incorrect instruction for this upgrade shows an amazing incompetence and/or neglect of its customers which has lead to a lot of lost valuable information for xperia owners. Never again SE is a rational conclusion.