Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia go in sea water

SOLVED
finch1221
Visitor

Xperia go in sea water

Hey there can I swim with my xperia go in sea water please reply coz I try it and nothing happened but can I do it again and again????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Luinwethion
Visitor

Last saterday and sunday I was using my phone in the sea, 20 (or more) minutes on the water each time, and I saw now problem.

Water is water, Ok, salt is more corrisive, but if it is water proof, it is water proof. Slightly_smiling_Face

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
Johan
Master

"This product is rated IP67 according to the International Protection classification system. IP67 indicates that when the phone is correctly mounted to maintain its dust and water resistant qualities, there is no ingress of dust (digit 6) and that ingress of water (digit 7) in harmful quantity shall not be possible if the device is dropped in fresh water under up to 1 meter of submersion for a duration of maximum 30 minutes."

According to the IP certification it's only fresh water resistant.

Tes
Visitor

Johan can you please link to where the IP certification says fresh water only?

I can only see that they says water. And there is no code for sea water. Meaning that if it's fresh water only. Then you can't make any electrical enclosure to use in sea water at all.

"Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion)."

Johan
Master

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/phones/xperia-go/specifications/

Look at the bottom of the page.

It's the same as I posted.

Tes
Visitor

Ok it's a Sony thing and not a Ingress Protection Rating (IP Rating) thing

finch1221
Visitor

Yes it is a sony thing i upload my video on youtube shooting in sea water and nothing strange happened,but id like to be sure from sony that it is not harmful.From my point if view if it is dust proof and water proof then it is salt proof becouse salt is a kind of dust moreover if u want to immerse it in sea water u should immerse it fresh water after u r done swiming with it in sea water inorder to get the salt out of it by solving the salt in fresh water....

Johan
Master

Sea water is 2 to 5 percent denser than fresh water. This would mean that fresh water is more likely to penetrate the phone than sea water.

And we state fresh water because the tests has been performed using fresh water.

Tes
Visitor

True. But a IP67 rating is 1meter of water for 30min.

So if they follow thet rigt IP rating then it's 1 meter fresh or sea water.

That Sony then says fresh water. it just to keep there butt free.... but might be breaking the rules of the IP rating

Johan
Master

Mind your language.

Why should the test be made using sea water if fresh water is more likely to penetrate the phone since it has lower density? If the phone gets past the test using fresh water this means it withstands sea water as well.

Tes
Visitor

Ingress Protection Rating (IP Rating) is an IEC standart for electrical enclosures and not what a phone can take.

It says nothing aboout fresh or sea water. It just says water. And my guess is that you also make electrical enclosures to use in sea water. So the rating is water fresh or sea.

And I said the B*** word not the A word so I did mint my language. Or do I have to say tush?